We are delighted to offer you a free MHFA England half day online course, which is an introductory four-hour session to raise awareness of mental health. It is designed to give you:
- An understanding of what mental health is and how to challenge stigma
- A basic knowledge of some common mental health issues
- An introduction to looking after your own mental health and maintaining well-being
- Confidence to support someone in distress or who may be experiencing a mental health issue
On completion of the course you will receive:
- A certificate of attendance to say you are Mental Health Aware
- A manual to refer to whenever you need it
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support your own mental health
The course will cover the following:
- What is mental health?
- Mental Health Continuum
- Factors which affect mental health
- Stress and stress management
- Spotting signs of distress
- Mental Health conditions:
- Eating disorders
- Take 10 Together – starting a supportive conversation
- Supporting mental health in the workplace
- Useful statistics
- Helpful resources
Staff and volunteers in voluntary and community groups working, volunteering or engaging with others on a regular basis. Priority will be given to the groups working across 3VA areas (Eastbourne, Lewes District and Wealden). The numbers are strictly limited to 12 people per course, a maximum of 2 representative from each organization will have a confirmed place and further registrations will be put on a waiting list.
This course is fully funded by Sussex Community Foundation and is free for any delegate within the target group. Please note that failure to attend the course will incur a charge of £50 per person. This charge applies to all agencies. If there is an exceptional operational situation that is communicated prior to the course (but not later than 48 hours), these chargers would not be applicable.
Your Mental Health First Aid Facilitator: Adrian Thomas
Adrian is a fully qualified MHFA trainer. He is passionate about the topic and during 2019 he trained over 850 delegates from voluntary and community as well as private and public sectors and delivered 75 courses across all MHFA Adult and Youth programmes.
What our participants say:
"I wasn't sure what to expect when starting this course but I am now more confident in helping my colleagues, clients and all others as I now have much better understanding about mental health and related issues and how to help and support those in need. In fact I can say the course was delivered by a brilliant instructor who has first knowledge about mental health issues and was so inspiring in his delivery of an often difficult and taboo subject. Thank you so much for making this course so easy to access and understand during these 'new normal' times we are now all having to face." "Adrian is an excellent and knowledgeable instructor. The course was spot on."