Community Development Officer – East Sussex County Council
East Sussex County Council
East Sussex Single Status Grade 12 (Paid)
JOB TITLE: Community Development Officer
DEPARTMENT: Adult Social Care and Health
GRADE: East Sussex Single Status Grade 12
RESPONSIBLE TO: Strategic Commissioning Manager – Substance Misuse
Purpose of the Role:
To contribute to the work of the safer East Sussex Team, to develop empowered communities that can manage Community Safety issues with a specific focus on engaging those with personal experience of drug and alcohol misuse in order to develop initiatives that sustain visible recovery
1. To plan, support the implementation of and oversee activities to develop recovery communities in East Sussex, ensuring that any plan considers the needs of areas across all of the Districts and Boroughs of East Sussex.
2. To undertake the development of relevant tasks as defined through relevant strategic workplans.
3. To identify and engage with key stakeholders who will be involved in developing recovery communities.
4. To present proposals to stakeholders in various settings to engage support and develop innovative solutions.
5. To support all projects to identify recovery champions with personal experience of drug or alcohol misuse and assist them in establishing or joining existing local peer support and mutual aid groups – both within the substance misuse landscape and beyond.
6. To facilitate organisational development activities that enable local peer support and mutual aid groups to become independent, sustainable organisations.
7. To ensure suitable management structures are in place for staff and volunteers within projects.
8. To support organisations to write funding bids to secure income streams.
9. To manage and monitor the recovery budget to ensure that it meets the outcomes specified by the Substance Misuse Commissioner – this needs further explanation to whoever undertakes the role.
10. To support the contract management of commissioned projects.
11. To ensure all current and new projects work in partnership with stakeholders that support recovery.
12. To apply best practice and adopt the learning from similar programmes in other areas.
13. Complying with Data Protection requirements and maintaining the security of the documents and information of East Sussex County Council and all other partner organisations, in particular the National Health Service, Probation Services and the Police in accordance with legislation and agreed guidelines.
14. Comply with the Health and Safety at Work requirements in accordance with legislation and agreed guidelines.
15. To apply consistently the principles of Equal Opportunities, as embodied in the County Council’s policies and practices throughout the duties outlined above.
16. To undertake available training opportunities and show a commitment to continuous development, to maximise your potential and ensure the efficient and effective delivery of County Council services.
17. Undertake any other duties relevant to the post and commensurate with the grading of the post.