Level 1 Community Development Worker – Making it Happen
Sussex Community Development Association
£18,933 per annum pro rata (Paid)
L1 Community Development Worker – Making it Happen Project
Part time 22.5 hours per week – 18 months fixed term contract in the first instance.
Based in Newhaven
Salary: £18,933 per annum pro rata.
Sussex Community Development Association (SCDA), runs a range of projects aimed at supporting the involvement of the whole of the community. These include initiatives and services that address economic, environmental, health and community needs of communities across East Sussex.
One of these initiatives is the “Making it Happen” project (where SCDA are the lead partner) the mission statement is to ‘work with communities to take control of their future and achieve better outcomes for themselves and all of their members’. We are now recruiting for an enthusiastic individual to support our established team.
Our Community Development Workers are ‘enablers’ who will work in partnership with residents and agencies in specific marginalised communities to maximise and build on the wealth of assets that people and communities possess. We are seeking a L1 Development Worker, which is an ideal, entry level role for someone wanting to start a career in Community Development and Health.
You will be responsible for working with the well-established team to:
Adopt principles and associated methodology of ABCD to support communities to:
- Identify their assets, opportunities, rights, and responsibilities
- Plan what they want to achieve and take appropriate action
- Develop activities, projects and services to generate positive change for themselves and their community.
- Support the team in the design and delivery of engagement activities in the priority areas
- Support development of online engagement / digital inclusion opportunities
- Participate in learning and development opportunities including relevant training to support engagement with children and young people
- Application of ABCD learning to support the ongoing development and facilitation of the Youth Forum
- Support the Youth Forum to design, develop and deliver their own projects
Ideal candidates will be passionate about working with people, including children and young people, and want to develop their knowledge and experience with working with their community using asset-based community development approaches. You will be a great communicator with a positive, “can do” approach who is comfortable speaking with a wide range of people.
The role is based in Newhaven, with occasional travel to delivery locations across East Sussex. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check. SCDA are working according to UK government guidelines regarding Covid-19.
Closing date: Sunday 12th September with interviews: w/c 20th September 2021
Completed application forms can be sent to HR via email to (email@example.com) or via post to SCDA, Denton Island Community Centre, Denton Island, Newhaven, East Sussex, BN9 9BA